PMI PMP certification overview
PMP certification has created a new buzz in the job market today. PMP certification offered by the Project Management Institute (PMI) offers is very high in demand both by the employers and specific project managers. At present, there are more than 100,000 project managers globally holding the PMP certification.
In the IT industry, project management means systematic approach to development of various software through specified stages of initiation, planning, execution, control and closing. Having a PMP certification demonstrates that a project manager has very good knowledge, experience and skill to handle and direct individual projects.
Who need to do this certification?
PMP certification offered by PMI lets a project manager to guide the overall team involved in the project in the right direction. There is higher chance that a PMP certified manager will complete a project successfully. Project management professional PMP certification is most appropriate for managers who wish to move their career forward, enhance their knowledge and skills and opt for a higher salary. PMP certification is best suited for managers who plan, lead and execute projects.
PMP is globally recognized for its ability to have a positive impact on the outcome of a project. PMP certified project managers have better skills to manage and direct a project and successfully complete it. As most companies have several projects running, the PMP certification is on high demand now. Recognition, better salary and better career are the major reasons for the popularity of this certification.
In order to obtain PMP certification, candidates must pass a written exam. This written exam must be given after completing a 35 hours long training program on PMP.
To obtain PMP® certification, an individual must satisfy educational and experiential requirements, agree to and adhere to a Code of Professional Conduct and pass the PMP® Certification Examination. In order to receive the PMP certification, the candidates need to satisfy both experience and educational requirements. The PMP certification requirements are:
- If the candidate holds a secondary school degree or a diploma degree, then the candidate must have more than five years direct experience in project management of which at least 7,500 hours must be experience in guiding and leading a project. It is also required to have 35 hours long PMP training program before appearing in the PMP certification exam.
- If the candidate has 4 years of bachelor’s degree, then the candidate must have at least three years of project management related experience. The candidate must also have experience of minimum 4,500 hours in directing and leading different types of projects. It is also necessary to have a formal PMP certification training of at least 35 hours.
The candidate must sit for the exam within one year of completing the compulsory PMP training program. The candidate can attempt for the PMP exam as many as three times if the outcome of the exam is not satisfactory, but this must of done within the one year time period.
The PMP exam covers five broad areas. These are:
- Initiating the project
- Planning of the project
- Executing the project
- Controlling and Monitoring the project
- Closing the project properly
Each chapter of the PMP certification course is very important. The candidates must thoroughly understand each topic in order to pass the PMP certification exam. In the initiation and planning section of project management, project managers discuss about the various requirements of the project, develop the budget plan and project schedule, develop plans for every department like personnel management plan, communication plan, procurement plan, etc. Then the project is executed and monitored. Team performance is monitored, necessary changes are then made. Finally, the project is closed once result has been achieved.
Candidates can get all the information regarding PMP certification online. Information like how to get PMP certification, what are the prerequisites, tips on PMP certification preparation, books and tutorials available, etc. can be found online. Online PMP certification preparation tools can also be found.
Validity of Certification
PMP certified professional must earn 60 Professional Development Units after every three years. Otherwise, their certification will become invalid. Examples of such Professional Development Units (PDUs) are article writing, researching, lecturing, being engaged in activities related to project management, or participating in the PMP training program.
If you want to be more future-oriented, look at current trends for some of the growing niche areas where future project management opportunities might be.
Kam Jugdev, PhD, PMP
Related IT Guides
- ISC2 CISSP certifications
- ITIL V3 Foundation
- PMI PMP Overview
- PMI PMP for project managers
- ITIL: Information Technology Infrastructure Library
- Green Belt Certification
- Project Management Professional Certificate
- Project Management Professional Certification
- CISSP: training methods
- Six Sigma and Lean Six Sigma
- Six Sigma certifications: exam questions
- Six Sigma and Lean Six Sigma overview
- ITIL certification: examination overview
- Six Sigma Black Belt Certification overview
- Six Sigma Green Belt certification
- Six Sigma certifications
- ITIL V3 Foundation - for all who looking to uplift their career
- PMI PMP certification, more accent on required exams
- PMI PMP certification, more accent on exam common questions
- Six Sigma Green Belt
- PMI PMP
- ITIL certifications, more accent on existing training methods
- PMP - an important certification for project managers
- ITIL certification is a huge benefit
- Type 1 ITIL certifications
- Six Sigma: skill levels
- Six Sigma Black Belt certification
- Six Sigma Course
- ITIL V3 Foundation certification
- PMI PMP will introduce you to the project management career
Money Back Guarantee
Pass4sure has a remarkable Candidate Success record. We're confident of our products and provide a no hassle money back guarantee.
Who Chooses Pass4sure
Pass4sure is the world's largest certification preparation company with 99.3% Pass Rate History from 195710+ Satisfied Customers in 145 Countries.
Secure Shopping Experience
Your purchase with Pass4sure is safe and fast. Your products will be available for immediate download after your payment has been received.
The Pass4sure website is protected by 256-bit SSL from McAfee, the leader in online security.
Need help assistance? Contact us!