CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner is an advanced level and Vendor neutral security certification providing up to date security concepts knowledge and skills. CompTIA is recognized worldwide for certifications and CASP is highly credible certification for US Department of Defense, HP and DELL for security personnel. This certification is intended for experienced Information Technology practitioners in the field of technical Security. The CASP certification is a follow up of CompTIA Security+ certification. CASP certification covers the planning, designing and engineering secure technology solutions for a complex enterprise environment with risk management factor involved.
CompTIA CASP is a master level certification. There are other professional level security certifications available by CompTIA among that two certifications are mentioned below:
- CompTIA Mobile App security, a certification to ensure candidate abilities in developing secure Android mobile application and secure communication.
- CompTIA Security +, a certification to verify candidate capabilities in network security, cryptography and security assessments and audits.
CASP certification is an ideal certification for the Information Technology specialists to enhance their skill level in the field of enterprise security for research analysis, risk management and integrated computing concepts. It is focused to enhance critical and rational thinking in the candidate to learn advance authentication techniques, organizational risk and vulnerability assessment and analysis of network security features and components. The main objective of the CASP certification is to train or verify candidate's abilities in following security areas:
- Cryptography concepts and techniques
- Security Risk assessment and management in the enterprise.
- Development of Security policies and procedures
- Enterprise Computing techniques.
- Security solutions analysis and risk assessment.
- Organizational security concepts.
- Implement security controls for enterprise network hosts, applications and storage.
- Integrating disciplines in the enterprise e.g. communication and computing etc.
- Devise emergency responses in an enterprise for emergency situation e.g. security threats.
- Host and Application Security management concepts.
The certification exam for the CASP is named CAS-002. It is a multiple choice and performance based exam available in English language. Candidate can score only a pass or fail in the result of the exam. Since CASP is an advanced level certification. It covers all aspects of security domain. The exam is designed to cover cryptographic techniques and concepts, Security Risk assessment, designing security policies and rules for organizational security. It involves both host and application security issues. The exam is focused to enhance the level of critical thinking of candidate that is important for development of effective security solutions for an enterprise level environment.
CompTIA CASP certification is valid for three years. During that time candidate has to recertify the certification otherwise the certification will get expired and the candidate has to restart the process all over from start. For recertification candidate has three options to renew which are mentioned below:
- Clear the most recent version of the certification exam i.e. any current or valid CASP exam.
- Clear any high level CompTIA certification or other high level industry certification.
- Gets sufficient number of CEUs i.e. Continuing Education Units.
There is no formal or specific pre requisite certification for CASP exam. A technical experience of ten years in Information Technology administration domain and minimum five years of experience in technical security is highly recommended before applying for the CASP exam.
Skills and Benefits
CompTIA stands for Computing Technology Industry Association is an organization for providing information technology certification worldwide. CompTIA CASP is a job role focused mastery certification for information Technology Specialists. Certified people can serve as Information Security Analysts, IT specialist in Cyber security and Cyber Security Risk Analyst. CompTIA's CASP is a well renounedexam to acknowledge individual's capability to implement security solutions at multiple levels of network infrastructure and to handle security threats and vulnerabilities in a network. CompTIA CASP certification can provide leading opportunities in information technology career and can also enhance job security for career development. CASP certification holder can also be considered eligible for Government and military technical positions, Microsoft, IBM and DELL etc.
CompTIA CASP certification is a top most or master level certification in Security domain in CompTIA certification hierarchy. After completing CompTIA CASP certification candidates can apply for other domain certifications by CompTIA.