Among the distinguished Linux based professional certification series offered by LPI certification vendor LPIC 2 is the second one in the hierarchy. As it is an advanced level of LPIC 1 certification so the technicalities dealt in this course are o higher scales as well. This certification mainly validates the candidate's ability to administer the small to medium sized Linux based mixed networks. The successful outcomes achieved by the completion of this certification effectively require a candidate to effectively administer a small to medium sized site, supervision of assistants, management of advise on automation and purchase and complete maintenance, planning, implementation, security and troubleshooting of small to mixed scale networks such as LAN Servers, Internet Gateways and Internet Servers.
In order to successfully obtain the complete LPIC 2 certification the candidates are required to successfully complete 2 of its sub-constituent exams that are LPIC 2 – 201 exam and LPIC 1 – 202 exam.
LPIC 2 – 201 Exam:
This exam is the first one in the hierarchy that validates the candidate skills for Capacity planning, Linux Kernel, System Start-up, File system and devices, advanced storage devices, network configurations and system maintenance.
LPIC 2 – 202 Exam:
This exam is second in the hierarchy to successfully obtain the LPIC 2 certification. It validates the candidate skills for validating domain name servers, effective utilization of web services, file sharing, network client management, E-mail services and system security.
Complete the objectives behind the successful completion of LPIC 2 certification exam include the combines the objectives of its two sub-constituents LPIC 2 – 201 exam and LPIC 2– 202 exam that mainly are:
- Effective measurement, and troubleshooting of hardware resource usage, such as the network bandwidth and effective troubleshooting of resource problems.
- Effective monitoring of future resource needs of the candidate.
- It allows the candidate to utilize the kernel components that are specific for hardware's, hardware drivers, system resources and requirements. It also includes the effective implementation of Kernel imaging and kernel module identification.
- Complete compilation of Kernel
- Effective runtime management of kernel and its troubleshooting
- The complete performance of basic DNS server configurations
- Complete creation and maintenance of DNS zones
- Completely securing techniques learning for DNS Servers
- Effective utilization of web services.
Re-certification for the LPIC 2 is followed in a different manner than other certifications. Once the candidate has cleared all the constituents of LPIC 2 he/she is required to re-certify in it after 5 years in order to keep the pace of the earned certification as active. This active status validates he candidate knowledge with the advancements made technologically on Linux based servers.
In order to re-take the exam the candidate is recommended to wait for one week atleast to one month max. If the candidate has already cleared the certification than the candidate should not retake the exam before 2 years.
This certification is the second one in the hierarchy of Linux based server certifications. The pre-requisite of this exam is the successful completion of LPIC 1 and is sub-constituent certifications that are LPIC 1 – 101 exam and LPIC 1 – 102 exam. Although these certifications of LPIC 1 and LPIC 2 may vary is order for doing, but the righthierarchy set is illustrated here for ease.
Skills and Benefits
The core skills and benefits that a passing candidate learns via the successful completion of this certification are:
- Complete administration of small to medium scaled sites administration
- Effective implementation, planning, security, maintenance and troubleshooting of LAN based servers (Samba, NFS, DNS, DHCP and Clinet Management), Internet Gateways (VPN, Firewall, SSH, Web Cache, Proxy and mail) and Internet based servers (Web server, FTP server and proxy server).
- Web services utilizations
- Guidance for automation and purchase.
At the effective completion of LPIC 2 certification that it is a constituent of two sub-certifications such a LPIC 2 -201 and LPIC 2- 202 exam. The next step for successfully passing candidate is to move towards the LPIC 3 certification that also includes two sub-constituents such as LPIC 3- 301 exam and LPIC 3- 302 exam. This series is the last one in the hierarchy of LPI based certifications and successful completion declares a candidate eligible for Linux servers management and integration with all aspects.