CompTIA Server+ is a server related certification offered by global provider of vendor neutral IT certification i.e. CompTIA. This certification validates professional server administration skills and primarily offers certification exam on storage, software, system hardware as well as troubleshooting and disaster recovery. Moreover, it also helps to train the candidates in a way that they can learn develop expensive and powerful capabilities associated with server systems as well as know the basics of computer's hardware. Network and software related topics are also included in this certification. A person adopting willing to do take this certification will qualify for the business continuity and IT environments related topics as well.
CompTIA Server+ certification is specifically designed for those IT professionals, IT server administrator, hardware technicians, software developers, help desk technicians, system engineers, sales solution specialists and network administrators who want to learn the basics as well as advance and thorough knowledge of server technology such as trouble shooting and disaster recovery. Its exam comprises of total 100 questions which have to be answered in 90 minutes. The passing score is 750 out of 900.
This certification is one of its own kinds as offered by the CompTIA and indeed the most precious of the server deployment and troubleshooting related certifications according to its diverse objectives and skills outline and flexibility. However, it is considered as the pre requisite requirement for doing other high level and advance certifications such as offered by Novell, Cisco, and Microsoft in the relevant domain.
This certification objective is to validate the candidates according to their skills and competency in the server management and troubleshooting so that it certifies the candidates that they are familiarize with the concepts and industry terminologies, they can comply with the disaster recovery, they have full command to indentify environmental issues and fully capable to understand the specializations and server role. Some major objectives of this certification include:
- To determine and setup the reasonable area for deploying the physical servers
- To be able to troubleshoot the problems and issues faced while using the relevant methods and tool efficiently
- To develop complete understanding of the different types of servers and their configurations such as DNS Server, Web Server and File Server.
- To thoughtfully write, maintain and consequently utilize the procedures, diagrams and overall documentation.
- To understand features, concepts and considerations related to the server visualizations.
- To learn backups and restores procedures which are essential parts for the trouble shooting program?
- To be able to carefully handle, configure, install and manage the updates of the network operating systems.
- To develop abilities and training related to the deployment and upgrade of the storage and hardware devices.
Altogether, it includes validation of the candidates against software, hardware, storage, disaster recovery, troubleshooting including complete IT environment.
The certification is valid for the period of three years. However, to renew the CompTIA Server+ certification, there are various flexible options available which are:
- To complete the continuing education activities so that a sufficient number of CEU (Continuing Education Units) are earned.
- Take an even more advance and higher level CompTIA certification
- Earn any other industry certification
- Clear the latest version of the exam under respective category of certification
Mainly, there are no pre requisites for taking this exam; however, it mostly targets those candidates who have a prior experience of 18-24 months. Moreover, CompTIA also recommends the respective candidates to complete CompTIA A+ certification before starting CompTIA Server+ certification for better learning and performance.
Skills and Benefits
A successfully qualified CompTIA Server+ candidate gets his or her skills validated according to the professional server administration perspective and as per industrially defined standards. Thus, according to the competency of IT technicians in field of fulfilling responsibilities of server hardware functionality, this certification is surely a key to success.
After becoming a CompTIA Server+ certified after clearing the exam, a candidate can look into an advance level certification in the field of server troubleshooting such as CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Storage+ Powered by SNIA [+] etc for which, CompTIA Server+ is the core requirement.